John Henry Browne
John Henry Browne is the one to call when it's all on the line. For almost 40 years, JHB has successfully represented people charged with serious offenses in state and federal court. Honored in Best Lawyers in America since 1999, JHB is an attorney with a northwest practice and international reputation. Martindale-Hubbell consistently rates him as a "Most Preeminent Lawyer." JHB has tried over 300 criminal cases to verdict and represents a broad range of individuals faced with serious felony charges.
After graduating from American University School of Law in 1971, John was a Ford Foundation Fellow at Northwestern University School of Law. Shortly after that, he began his legal career as an Assistant Attorney General in Olympia, Washington. He then served as the Chief Trial Attorney at the Public Defender's Office before going into private practice as a founding partner in Browne & Ressler. JHB has since gone out on his own in the exclusive practice of criminal defense.
JHB has been recently profiled in several nationally-recognized newspapers, including the New York Times and Seattle Times:
"He's definitely a renegade among defense attorneys," said Daniel T. Satterberg, the King County prosecuting attorney, who has known Mr. Browne for a quarter-century. "I mean that in a respectful sense. He is his own man. He calls his own shots, and he doesn't have to answer to anybody."
- Washington SuperLawyers, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2001-2002
- Fellow, Ford Foundation Fellowship Program
Emma C. Scanlan, Of Counsel
Emma brings experience and dedication to her work in defending clients in state and federal courts throughout Washington. As a former prosecutor, she excels in negotiating dismissals and successful resolutions. Emma is an aggressive trial attorney who has achieved not guilty verdicts for clients in tough cases ranging from charges of homicide to white collar crime.
- Washington State Bar (2006)
- United States Federal Court, Western Division
- United States Federal Court, Eastern Division
- J.D., University of Washington School of Law (2006)
- B.A., University of Washington
- Washington State Bar Association
- Washington Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Washington Rising Stars, *Super Lawyers* Magazine 2010