John Henry Browne
John Henry Browne is the one to call when it's all on the line. For almost 40 years, JHB has successfully represented people charged with serious offenses in state and federal court. Honored in Best Lawyers in America since 1999, JHB is an attorney with a northwest practice and international reputation. Martindale-Hubbell consistently rates him as a "Most Preeminent Lawyer." JHB has tried over 300 criminal cases to verdict and represents a broad range of individuals faced with serious felony charges.
After graduating from American University School of Law in 1971, John was a Ford Foundation Fellow at Northwestern University School of Law. Shortly after that, he began his legal career as an Assistant Attorney General in Olympia, Washington. He then served as the Chief Trial Attorney at the Public Defender's Office before going into private practice as a founding partner in Browne & Ressler. JHB has since gone out on his own in the exclusive practice of criminal defense.
The office is now located in Pioneer Square in the historic Delmar Building.
JHB has been recently profiled in several nationally-recognized newspapers, including the New York Times and Seattle Times:
"He's definitely a renegade among defense attorneys," said Daniel T. Satterberg, the King County prosecuting attorney, who has known Mr. Browne for a quarter-century. "I mean that in a respectful sense. He is his own man. He calls his own shots, and he doesn't have to answer to anybody."
- Washington SuperLawyers, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2001-2002
- Fellow, Ford Foundation Fellowship Program
Colleen A. Hartl, of Counsel
Colleen A. Hartl, an associate attorney at the Law Offices of John Henry Browne, P.S., is a criminal law trial attorney with over 20 years experience in criminal law as a defense attorney, a prosecuting attorney and a municipal court judge. From the first appearance in court, through negotiations and trial, Colleen seeks to provide the best defense and assistance to a person accused of a crime with knowledge and experience. She represents persons accused at the misdemeanor, felony and appellate levels. Colleen has successfully represented and obtained dismissals on cases of domestic violence crimes, felony assaults, felony sex offenses, and those accused of serious alcohol related driving offenses.
Her area of practice also includes expunging criminal arrest records, vacating criminal convictions and restoring firearm rights.
- Washington State Bar, 1988
- United States Federal Court, Western Division, 1990
- United States Federal Court, Eastern Division, 2012
- J.D., Seattle University, 1987
- B.A., Seattle University, 1983
- Washington State Bar Association
- Washington Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Pierce County Bar Association
- Washington Women Lawyers
- Washington Rising Star Attorney, Washington Law and Politics magazine, 2000
Michael T. Lee
Michael Lee is a trial attorney at the Law Offices of John Henry Browne, PS. His practice focuses on zealously representing individuals charged with serious felonies in Federal and State Courts throughout Washington. He also handles a select number of civil cases, primarily dealing with serious personal injury and wrongful death. Michael has earned a reputation in the legal community as a formidable adversary with exceptional writing skills, sharp instinct, and a keen eye for detail. Michael’s clients appreciate his ability to effectively communicate and find creative approaches to even the most challenging cases.
- Washington State Bar
- United States Federal Court, Western District of Washington
- J.D., California Western School of Law, 2011
- B.A., Portland State University, Economics, magna cum laude, 2008
- Washington State Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association – Western District of Washington