John Henry Browne
John Henry Browne is the one to call when it's all on the line. For almost 40 years, JHB has successfully represented people charged with serious offenses in state and federal court. Honored in Best Lawyers in America since 1999, JHB is an attorney with a northwest practice and international reputation. Martindale-Hubbell consistently rates him as a "Most Preeminent Lawyer."
Over the past 4 decades JHB has also been featured in several nationally-recognized newspapers, including the New York Times for his high profile cases including serial killer Ted Bundy, Benjamin Ng, Colton Harris-Moore (the "Barefoot Bandit"), and Army Staff Sergeant Robert Bales.
Browne's unceasing advocacy and the daring to take on some of the most unwinnable cases—and nearly win them all—has led 48 Hours' Peter Van Sant to call him "the most famous lawyer in America."
"He's definitely a renegade among defense attorneys," said Daniel T. Satterberg, the King County prosecuting attorney, who has known Mr. Browne for a quarter-century. "I mean that in a respectful sense. He is his own man. He calls his own shots, and he doesn't have to answer to anybody."
- Oxford Fellow, 1999
- Northwestern University School of Law, The Ford Foundation, Fellow
- American University, J.D., 1971
- University of Denver, B.A., 1968
- Washington SuperLawyers, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2001-2002
- Founded the Criminal Trial Practice program at Seattle University Law School
- Taught "Criminal Trial Practice" at Seattle University Law School, 5 Years
- Taught "Criminal Law and Procedure" at the University of Washington, 4 Years
- Author of "The Devil's Defender: My Odyssey Through American Criminal Justice from Ted Bundy to the Kandahar Massacre"
Emma C. Scanlan
Emma is among the most respected criminal defense attorneys in the United States and is known nationally for bringing experience, dedication and passion to her work in defending clients in state and federal courts. As a former prosecutor, she excels in negotiating dismissals and successful resolutions. Emma is an aggressive trial attorney who has achieved not guilty verdicts for clients in tough cases ranging from charges of homicide and juveniles tried as adults for violent crime to white collar crime such as fraud and cybercrime. Her tenacity and knowledge of the criminal courts system has led to an impressive record of “not guilty” verdicts in criminal trials, with the Law Offices of John Henry Browne P.S. obtaining pretrial dismissals and very favorable plea deals in many other criminal cases without the need for a trial.
- Washington State Bar (2006)
- United States Federal Court, Western Division
- United States Federal Court, Eastern Division
- Washington Rising Stars, *Super Lawyers* Magazine 2010